Skip to main content

Learn Thai Verb To Be (3) | คือ /kʉʉ/

คือ /kʉʉ/ is another verb to be in Thai. It is interchangeable with “เป็น /bpen/” in some cases but they are slightly different as we use “คือ /kʉʉ/” to give “definition” of something or to explain things. When you use คือ /kʉʉ/, it is like A = B, whereas “เป็น /bpen/” is like a condition at that moment that can change in the future.

Pattern:
Subject + คือ /kʉʉ/ + definition

For example:
อันนี้คือทุเรียน คุณรู้จักไหม /an-níi kʉʉ tú-rian. kun rúu-jàk mái?/
= This one is durian. Do you know it?
โรงเรียน คือ สถานที่สำหรับเรียน /roong-rian kʉʉ sà-tǎan-tîi sǎm-ràp rian/
= A “school” is a place for studying.

Negation:
Subject +  ไม่ใช่ /mâi châi/ + definition

For example:
อันนี้ไม่ใช่ทุเรียน อันนี้คือขนุน /
an-níi mâi châi tú-rian. an-níi kʉʉ kà-nǔn/
= This one is not durian. This one is jackfruit.
โรงเรียน ไม่ใช่สถานที่สำหรับคนป่วย สถานที่สำหรับคนป่วยคือโรงพยาบาล /roong-rian mâi châi sà-tǎan-tîi sǎm-ràp kon bpùai. sà-tǎan-tîi sǎm-ràp kon bpùai  kʉʉ roong-pa-yaa-baan/
= A school is not a place for patients. The place for patients is a hospital.

Hope you understand more about verb to be in Thai!
See you next blogs ka!
 
Jang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn Thai Verb to Be (2) | อยู่ /yùu/

In this blog we will learn verb to be, อยู่ /yùu/. อยู่ /yùu/ is used when you when to describe where the subject is located, so it comes with preposition. Click here to find more prepositions in Thai. >>> Prepostions Pattern: Subject + อยู่ /yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาอยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is opposite the school. หนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ yùu bon dtó/ = The book is on the table. ห้องน้ำอยู่ข้างๆ ห้องครัว /hͻ̂ͻng-nám yùu kâang-kâang hͻ̂ͻng-krua/ = The toilet/ bathroom is beside the kitchen. Negation:  Subject + ไม่อยู่ /mâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location OR Subject + ไม่ได้อยู่ / mâi dâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาไม่อยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo mâi yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is not opposite the school. หนังสือไม่ได้อยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ mâi dâi yùu bon dtó/ = The bo...

Learn Thai Phrases| Romantic Thai Phrases

Happy Valentine’s Day! Can you feel love in the air? Today I have 14 romantic phrases so you can use with your loved one. Please remember: ผม / pǒm/ - I, me for male speakers ฉัน / chán/ - I, me for female speakers 1. I love you. ผมรักคุณ / pǒm rák kun/ ฉันรักคุณ / chán rák kun/ 2. I am falling in love with you. ผมตกหลุมรักคุณ / pǒm dtòk lǔm rák kun/ ฉันตกหลุมรักคุณ / chán dtòk lǔm rák kun/ 3. You melt my heart. คุณทำให้ใจผมละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai pǒm lá-laai/ คุณทำให้ใจฉันละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai chán lá-laai/ 4. I secretly love you. ผมแอบรักคุณ / pǒm ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ ฉันแอบรักคุณ / chán ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ 5. Love at first sight. รักแรกพบ / rák rɛ̂ɛk póp/ 6. Do you believe in destiny? I did not, until I met you. คุณเชื่อเรื่องพรมลิขิตไหม ผมไม่เคยเชื่อจนกระทั่งได้เจอคุณ /kun chʉ̂a rʉ̂ang prom-lí-kìt mái? pǒm mâi kǝǝ...

Learn Thai Vocabulary | Sickness and Symptoms

Achoo!! Oh, I am sorry. Today I woke up with a headache and runny nose. I have a cold as the weather changed. Hope you guys are ok. In this blog, I have vocabulary about sickness and symptoms for you guys. Let's check them out!   1. ปวด /bpùat/+ body parts = pain, ache, sore (long term)        ปวดหัว /bpùat hǔa /          = have a headache       ปวดท้อง /bpùat tᴐ́ᴐng/       = have a stomachache       ปวดฟัน /bpùat fan /          = have a toothache      ปวดคอ /bpùat kᴐᴐ /          = have a neck ache 2. เจ็บ /jèp/ + body parts      = hurt (surface or short term) เจ็บตา /jèp dtaa/             = eyes hurt (because something inside)   เจ็บหัว /j...