Skip to main content

Learn Thai Slangs | Fruit Slangs

Do you like fruits? I love eating most of them because they are refreshing. However, do you know that Thai people use some fruits as slang words too! So, today we will learn Thai slangs about fruit. Let’s check them out.

1. ฝรั่ง /fà-ràng/ (Guava) = Westerner 
ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ guava
It is a very common slang word to call westerners. It is originally from Persian language “ferang, ferangi, feringhi” means Europeans. In Ayutthaya period, people contacted Europeans to trade things and we use this Persian word to call all Europeans.
For example:
ร้านอาหารนี้ไงที่ฝรั่งชอบไป /ráan-aa-hǎan níi ngai tîi fà-ràng chͻ̂ͻp bpai/
Here, this restaurant, remember?, where westerners like to go.

2. ลำไย /lam-yai/ (Longan) = annoying, slow

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ ลำไย
We use the word “ลำไย /lam-yai/” because the sound is similar to “รำคาญ /ram-kaan/” which means “annoyed” in Thai.
For example:
โอ๊ย ลำไย เดินเร็วๆ หน่อยได้ไหม /óoi.. lam-yai, dǝǝn reo-reo nͻ̀ͻi dâi mái?!/
Annoying! Can you walk faster?

3. สตรอเบอ์รี่ /sa-dtrͻͻ-bǝǝ-rîi/ (Strawberry) = lie, liar

 à¸œà¸¥à¸à¸²à¸£à¸„้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ strawberry 
It is originally from the words “ตอแหล /dtͻͻ-lɛ̌ɛ/” in Thai, but this word is quite rude, so we try to make it sounds softer.
For example:
อย่ามาสตรอเบอร์รี่ ฉันไม่เชื่อเธอ /yaa maa sa-dtrͻͻ-bǝǝ-rîi, chán mâi chʉ̂a tǝǝ/
= Don’t lie! I don’t believe you.

4. กล้วย /glûai/ (Banana) = Easy

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ banana 
It is from the proverb, “ง่ายเหมือนปอกกล้วยเข้าปาก” = as easy as peeling bananas and putting it in your mouth (Eng. As easy as pie.)
For example:

เรื่องนี้กล้วยมาก ทำได้แน่ๆ /rʉ̂ang níi glûai mâak. tam dâi nɛ̂ɛ- nɛ̂ɛ/
This is very easy. I can do it for sure.

5. อ้อย /ͻ̂ͻi/ (Sugarcane) = flirt, seduce, pose sexily

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ sugarcane 
It sounds similar to “อ่อย /ͻ̀ͻi/” for “flirty, seduce, pose sexily”
For example:

เขาพยายามอ้อยเธอทุกวัน เธอไม่สนใจหรอ /káo paa-yaam ͻ̂ͻi tǝǝ túk wan, tǝǝ mâi sǒn-jai káo rͻ̌ͻ?/
He tries to flirt with you every day. Aren't you interested in him?

See you next blog ka!

Jang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn Thai Verb to Be (2) | อยู่ /yùu/

In this blog we will learn verb to be, อยู่ /yùu/. อยู่ /yùu/ is used when you when to describe where the subject is located, so it comes with preposition. Click here to find more prepositions in Thai. >>> Prepostions Pattern: Subject + อยู่ /yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาอยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is opposite the school. หนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ yùu bon dtó/ = The book is on the table. ห้องน้ำอยู่ข้างๆ ห้องครัว /hͻ̂ͻng-nám yùu kâang-kâang hͻ̂ͻng-krua/ = The toilet/ bathroom is beside the kitchen. Negation:  Subject + ไม่อยู่ /mâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location OR Subject + ไม่ได้อยู่ / mâi dâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาไม่อยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo mâi yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is not opposite the school. หนังสือไม่ได้อยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ mâi dâi yùu bon dtó/ = The bo...

Learn Thai Phrases| Romantic Thai Phrases

Happy Valentine’s Day! Can you feel love in the air? Today I have 14 romantic phrases so you can use with your loved one. Please remember: ผม / pǒm/ - I, me for male speakers ฉัน / chán/ - I, me for female speakers 1. I love you. ผมรักคุณ / pǒm rák kun/ ฉันรักคุณ / chán rák kun/ 2. I am falling in love with you. ผมตกหลุมรักคุณ / pǒm dtòk lǔm rák kun/ ฉันตกหลุมรักคุณ / chán dtòk lǔm rák kun/ 3. You melt my heart. คุณทำให้ใจผมละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai pǒm lá-laai/ คุณทำให้ใจฉันละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai chán lá-laai/ 4. I secretly love you. ผมแอบรักคุณ / pǒm ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ ฉันแอบรักคุณ / chán ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ 5. Love at first sight. รักแรกพบ / rák rɛ̂ɛk póp/ 6. Do you believe in destiny? I did not, until I met you. คุณเชื่อเรื่องพรมลิขิตไหม ผมไม่เคยเชื่อจนกระทั่งได้เจอคุณ /kun chʉ̂a rʉ̂ang prom-lí-kìt mái? pǒm mâi kǝǝ...

Learn Thai Vocabulary | Sickness and Symptoms

Achoo!! Oh, I am sorry. Today I woke up with a headache and runny nose. I have a cold as the weather changed. Hope you guys are ok. In this blog, I have vocabulary about sickness and symptoms for you guys. Let's check them out!   1. ปวด /bpùat/+ body parts = pain, ache, sore (long term)        ปวดหัว /bpùat hǔa /          = have a headache       ปวดท้อง /bpùat tᴐ́ᴐng/       = have a stomachache       ปวดฟัน /bpùat fan /          = have a toothache      ปวดคอ /bpùat kᴐᴐ /          = have a neck ache 2. เจ็บ /jèp/ + body parts      = hurt (surface or short term) เจ็บตา /jèp dtaa/             = eyes hurt (because something inside)   เจ็บหัว /j...