Skip to main content

Learn Thai Language | Do's and Don'ts for Songkran

Happy Thai New Year!
It is Songkran, the water festival in Thailand which is the most famous and there are lots of fun!
In this blog we will learn Do’s and Don’ts for this happy festival! Let’s check them out!

Songkran Do’s:

1. Wear proper clothes and shoes.
As it is a “water” festival, of course you are going to get wet or soak! Please choose light and fast-drying clothes. Anyway, you will need to consider where you are going as well. If you are just going out for the water fight, short and T-shirt are ok, but if you are going to temples, I think longer trousers are more appropriate, at least they should cover your knees. Shirts should be with sleeves, long or short are fine. Make sure you wear shoes that are safe to walk through water and slippery streets.

2. Protect your belongings and electronic devices.
You should buy a zip-lock, waterproof bag to keep your electronic devices such as mobile phones and camera.

3. Play safely and politely.
Please use clean water. You can use water guns, buckets or bowls to splash water.

4. Have fun.
Songkran Festival is a happy and fun time. People will laugh, scream and smile a lot. Let’s enjoy and celebrate with those new friends.
ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ songkran

Songkran Don’ts

1. Throw water on motorbikes or indoor.
This is really dangerous because it can cause serious injury, so don’t throw water at motorcyclists to avoid accidents. Also, don’t splash water indoors.

2. Use ice, shampoo, power or dirty things.
Again, be polite! Don’t turn the fun festival to bullying and violence. Also, don’t use power paste as now playing with the powder and touching can be considered as sexual harassment and it is dangerous if it gets into your eyes.

3. Use high-pressure water guns.
It can hurt somebody and cause further accident, so don’t use it. Small water guns, buckets and bowls are fun enough.

4. Drink drive
It’s very dangerous! If you are sure that you will drink in this occasion, please take a taxi or other public transportation.

5. Get mad.
Please prepare that you will get wet in this festival. Thais believe that water will wash away your bad lucks and bring cool a new year. However, if you do not like to get soaked, you can stay at home or indoors such as shopping malls, or even refuse nicely that you have something important to do.
You can use some excuses that you are going to the meeting or go to work.
For example:
(Female) ขอโทษค่ะ ไม่เล่นค่ะ ต้องไปประชุมต่อ /kͻ̌ͻ-tôot kâ, mâi lên kâ, dtͻ̂ͻng bpai bprà-chum dtͻ̀ͻ/
(Male) ขอโทษครับ ไม่เล่นครับ ต้องไปประชุมต่อ /kͻ̌ͻ-tôot kráp, mâi lên kráp, dtͻ̂ͻng bpai bprà-chum dtͻ̀ͻ/
= Sorry, I don’t play (I don’t want water splashing). I have to attend a meeting later.
(Female)ขอโทษค่ะ ไม่เล่นค่ะ ต้องไปทำธุระ /kͻ̌ͻ-tôot kâ, mâi lên kâ, dtͻ̂ͻng bpai tam tú-rá/
(Male)ขอโทษครับ ไม่เล่นครับ ต้องไปทำธุระ /kͻ̌ͻ-tôot kráp, mâi lên kráp, dtͻ̂ͻng bpai tam tú-rá/
= Sorry, I don’t play (I don’t want water splashing). I have to run my errand.

If people refuse, please respect them as well. Always celebrate with politeness, respect and kindness.
I wish you fun and safe Songkran. Happy Songkran ka!!
ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ songkran

Jang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn Thai Verb to Be (2) | อยู่ /yùu/

In this blog we will learn verb to be, อยู่ /yùu/. อยู่ /yùu/ is used when you when to describe where the subject is located, so it comes with preposition. Click here to find more prepositions in Thai. >>> Prepostions Pattern: Subject + อยู่ /yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาอยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is opposite the school. หนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ yùu bon dtó/ = The book is on the table. ห้องน้ำอยู่ข้างๆ ห้องครัว /hͻ̂ͻng-nám yùu kâang-kâang hͻ̂ͻng-krua/ = The toilet/ bathroom is beside the kitchen. Negation:  Subject + ไม่อยู่ /mâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location OR Subject + ไม่ได้อยู่ / mâi dâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาไม่อยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo mâi yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is not opposite the school. หนังสือไม่ได้อยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ mâi dâi yùu bon dtó/ = The bo...

Learn Thai Phrases| Romantic Thai Phrases

Happy Valentine’s Day! Can you feel love in the air? Today I have 14 romantic phrases so you can use with your loved one. Please remember: ผม / pǒm/ - I, me for male speakers ฉัน / chán/ - I, me for female speakers 1. I love you. ผมรักคุณ / pǒm rák kun/ ฉันรักคุณ / chán rák kun/ 2. I am falling in love with you. ผมตกหลุมรักคุณ / pǒm dtòk lǔm rák kun/ ฉันตกหลุมรักคุณ / chán dtòk lǔm rák kun/ 3. You melt my heart. คุณทำให้ใจผมละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai pǒm lá-laai/ คุณทำให้ใจฉันละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai chán lá-laai/ 4. I secretly love you. ผมแอบรักคุณ / pǒm ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ ฉันแอบรักคุณ / chán ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ 5. Love at first sight. รักแรกพบ / rák rɛ̂ɛk póp/ 6. Do you believe in destiny? I did not, until I met you. คุณเชื่อเรื่องพรมลิขิตไหม ผมไม่เคยเชื่อจนกระทั่งได้เจอคุณ /kun chʉ̂a rʉ̂ang prom-lí-kìt mái? pǒm mâi kǝǝ...

Learn Thai Vocabulary | Sickness and Symptoms

Achoo!! Oh, I am sorry. Today I woke up with a headache and runny nose. I have a cold as the weather changed. Hope you guys are ok. In this blog, I have vocabulary about sickness and symptoms for you guys. Let's check them out!   1. ปวด /bpùat/+ body parts = pain, ache, sore (long term)        ปวดหัว /bpùat hǔa /          = have a headache       ปวดท้อง /bpùat tᴐ́ᴐng/       = have a stomachache       ปวดฟัน /bpùat fan /          = have a toothache      ปวดคอ /bpùat kᴐᴐ /          = have a neck ache 2. เจ็บ /jèp/ + body parts      = hurt (surface or short term) เจ็บตา /jèp dtaa/             = eyes hurt (because something inside)   เจ็บหัว /j...