Skip to main content

Learn Thai | When - เมื่อ ตอน เวลา เมื่อไร


There are a few words to say “when” in Thai. Today we will see those words and how they works.

1. เมื่อ /mʉ̂a/
You might see this word in some Thai Learning books saying it means “when”. Of course, it is correct but it is not common in colloquial Thai. เมื่อ /mʉ̂a/ is used in written language.
Anyway, you will see เมื่อ in other words to tell the past. For example:
เมื่อวานนี้ /mʉ̂a-waan-níi/ = yesterday
เมื่อคืนนี้ /mʉ̂a-kʉʉn-níi/ = last night
เมื่อกี๊นี้ /mʉ̂a-gíi-níi/ = just now, a moment ago
เมื่อเดือนที่แล้ว /mʉ̂a-dʉan-tîi-lɛ́ɛo/ = last night
เมื่อก่อน /mʉ̂a-gͻ̀ͻn/ = before, in the past
เมื่อเช้านี้ /mʉ̂a-cháo-níi/ = earlier this morning

2. เวลา /wee-laa/
The word เวลา /wee-laa/ means “time”. As for the meaning “when”, it is used when you talk about things that “habitually” happens. When/ Whenever something happens, something will happen habitually.
For example:
เขาหงุดหงิดเวลาอากาศร้อน /káo ngùt-ngìt wee-laa aa-gàat rͻ́ͻn/
= He/ She is moody whenever the weather is hot.
ฉันปวดท้องเวลากินข้าวไม่ตรงเวลา /chán bpùat-tͻ́ͻng wee-laa gin kâao mâi dtrong weelaa/
= I have a stomach ache whenever I do not eat on time.
เรายิ้มเวลามีความสุข /rao yím wee-laa mii-kwaam-sùk/
= We smile when(ever) we are happy.

3. ตอน /dtͻͻn/
It is used when you talk about a certain time or specific time.
For example:
ตอนฉันเป็นเด็ก ฉันอยากเป็นหมอ /dtͻͻn bpen dèk, chán yàak bpen mͻ̌ͻ/
= When I was a child, I wanted to be a doctor.
เมื่อคืนนี้เขามาถึงบ้านตอนฝนตก /mʉ̂a-kʉʉn-níi káo maa tʉ̌ng bâan dtͻͻn fǒn dtòk/
= Last night he arrived home when it rained.
น้องชายของผมไปว่ายน้ำตอนเลิกงาน /nͻ́ͻng-chaai kͻ̌ͻng pǒm bpai wâai-nám dtͻͻn lǝ̂ǝk-ngaan/
= My younger brother goes swimming when he finished working.


4. เมื่อไร / เมื่อไหร่ /mʉ̂a-rai or mʉ̂a-rài/
This is a question word “When?”. You can put at the end to form a question.
For example:
คุณจะไปหาเพื่อนเมื่อไร /kun jà bpai hǎa pʉ̂an mʉ̂a-rai/
= When will you go to see your friend?
เมื่อเช้านี้คุณมาถึงเมื่อไร /mʉ̂a-cháo-níi kun maa-tʉ̌ng mʉ̂a-rai/
= When did you arrive (here) this morning?
คุณเริ่มเรียนภาษาไทยตั้งแต่เมื่อไร /kun rǝ̂ǝm rian paa-sǎa tai dtâng-dtɛ̀ɛ mʉ̂a-rai/
= When did you started learning Thai? (You started learning Thai since when?)

BUT if you put the word เมื่อไร together with จะ at the beginning of the question, it will convey the sense of annoyance or urge.
Pattern เมื่อไร (someone) จะ + verb + object?
For example:
เมื่อไรคุณจะไปหาเพื่อน /mʉ̂a-rai kun jà bpai hǎa pʉ̂an/
= When will you go to see your friend? (urge)
เมื่อไรคุณจะมาถึง /mʉ̂a-rai kun jà maa-tʉ̌ng/
= When will you arrive? (urge)
เมื่อไรคุณจะเริ่มเรียนภาษาไทย /mʉ̂a-rai kun jà rǝ̂ǝm rian paa-sǎa tai?/
= When will you start learning Thai? (urge)

Hope this helps you learn the word “when” better.
See you next blogs ka!
Jang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn Thai Verb to Be (2) | อยู่ /yùu/

In this blog we will learn verb to be, อยู่ /yùu/. อยู่ /yùu/ is used when you when to describe where the subject is located, so it comes with preposition. Click here to find more prepositions in Thai. >>> Prepostions Pattern: Subject + อยู่ /yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาอยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is opposite the school. หนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ yùu bon dtó/ = The book is on the table. ห้องน้ำอยู่ข้างๆ ห้องครัว /hͻ̂ͻng-nám yùu kâang-kâang hͻ̂ͻng-krua/ = The toilet/ bathroom is beside the kitchen. Negation:  Subject + ไม่อยู่ /mâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location OR Subject + ไม่ได้อยู่ / mâi dâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาไม่อยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo mâi yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is not opposite the school. หนังสือไม่ได้อยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ mâi dâi yùu bon dtó/ = The bo...

Learn Thai Phrases| Romantic Thai Phrases

Happy Valentine’s Day! Can you feel love in the air? Today I have 14 romantic phrases so you can use with your loved one. Please remember: ผม / pǒm/ - I, me for male speakers ฉัน / chán/ - I, me for female speakers 1. I love you. ผมรักคุณ / pǒm rák kun/ ฉันรักคุณ / chán rák kun/ 2. I am falling in love with you. ผมตกหลุมรักคุณ / pǒm dtòk lǔm rák kun/ ฉันตกหลุมรักคุณ / chán dtòk lǔm rák kun/ 3. You melt my heart. คุณทำให้ใจผมละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai pǒm lá-laai/ คุณทำให้ใจฉันละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai chán lá-laai/ 4. I secretly love you. ผมแอบรักคุณ / pǒm ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ ฉันแอบรักคุณ / chán ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ 5. Love at first sight. รักแรกพบ / rák rɛ̂ɛk póp/ 6. Do you believe in destiny? I did not, until I met you. คุณเชื่อเรื่องพรมลิขิตไหม ผมไม่เคยเชื่อจนกระทั่งได้เจอคุณ /kun chʉ̂a rʉ̂ang prom-lí-kìt mái? pǒm mâi kǝǝ...

Learn Thai Vocabulary | Sickness and Symptoms

Achoo!! Oh, I am sorry. Today I woke up with a headache and runny nose. I have a cold as the weather changed. Hope you guys are ok. In this blog, I have vocabulary about sickness and symptoms for you guys. Let's check them out!   1. ปวด /bpùat/+ body parts = pain, ache, sore (long term)        ปวดหัว /bpùat hǔa /          = have a headache       ปวดท้อง /bpùat tᴐ́ᴐng/       = have a stomachache       ปวดฟัน /bpùat fan /          = have a toothache      ปวดคอ /bpùat kᴐᴐ /          = have a neck ache 2. เจ็บ /jèp/ + body parts      = hurt (surface or short term) เจ็บตา /jèp dtaa/             = eyes hurt (because something inside)   เจ็บหัว /j...