Skip to main content

Learn Thai Phrases | Order Food (2)

Arghhh.. That Som Tam is too spicy for you! Now you are feeling like a Godzilla who has a fire breath! 
Isn't it better if you can customize your food by telling the chef what you would like or would not like in your food?
In this blog, I have that solution for you. We will learn how to tell the chef to put or not to put things in your food, such as:

พริก /prík/ = chili
น้ำปลา /nám-bplaa/ = fish sauce
เกลือ /glʉa/ = salt
พริกไทย /prík-tai/  = pepper
น้ำส้มสายชู /nám-sôm-sǎai-chuu/ = vinegar
น้ำตาล /nám-dtaan/ = sugar
นมข้นหวาน /nom-kôn-wǎan/ = condensed milk
นม /nom/ = milk
ถั่วลิงสง /tùa-lí-sǒng/ = peanut
เนื้อสัตว์ /nʉ́a-sàt/ = meat, animal flesh
เครื่องใน /krʉ̂ang-nai/ = internal organs
เลือด /lʉ̂at/ = blood pudding
 etc.

Pattern:
ใส่ /sài/ + something (number + classifier) = put in/ add + something
ไม่ใส่ /mâi sài/ + something = don't put in/ add + something

For example:

ขอส้มตำไทยใส่พริกสองเม็ด* ไม่ใส่ถั่วลิสงค่ะ/ครับ
/kͻ̌ͻ sôm-dtam tai, sài prík sͻ̌ͻng mét*, mâi sài tùa-lí-sǒng kâ / kráp/
*เม็ด /mét/ is a classifier for chili.
= I would like central Thai papaya salad (Som Tam Thai), with 2 chili added and no peanut, please.

ขอข้าวผัดไม่ใส่เนื้อสัตว์ค่ะ/ครับ
/kͻ̌ͻ kâao-pàt mâi sài nʉ́a-sàt kâ / kráp/
= I would like fried rice without meat, please.
 
ขอกาแฟเย็นไม่ใส่น้ำตาลค่ะ/ครับ
/kͻ̌ͻ gaa-fɛɛ yen mâi sài nám-dtaan kâ / kráp/ 
= I would like iced coffee without sugar, please.

ขอกาแฟร้อนใส่น้ำตาลสองช้อน*ค่ะ/ครับ
/kͻ̌ͻ gaa-fɛɛ rͻ́ͻn sài nám-dtaan sͻ̌ͻng chͻ́ͻn* kâ / kráp/
*ช้อน /chͻ́ͻn/ means spoonful.
= I would like hot coffee with 2 spoonful of sugar, please.

Vegetarian
You can mention that you would like a vegetarian food by saying names of food + มังสวิรัติ /mang-sa-wí-rát/.
For example:

ขอข้าวผัดมังสวิรัติค่ะ/ครับ
/kͻ̌ͻ kâao-pàt mang-sa-wí-rát kâ / kráp/
= I would like to have vegetarian fried rice, please.
 
ขอผัดไทยมังสวิรัติค่ะ/ครับ
/kͻ̌ͻ pàt-tai mang-sa-wí-rát kâ / kráp/
= I would like to have vegetarian Pat Thai, please.

Food Allergy
If you have food allergy, you will need to tell them by saying แพ้ /pɛ́ɛ/ + food.
For example:

ฉันแพ้ถั่วลิสงค่ะ   /chán pɛ́ɛ tùa-lí-sǒng kâ/
= I am allergic to peanuts.
 
ผมแพ้อาหารทะเลครับ /pǒm pɛ́ɛ aa-hǎan ta-lee kráp/
= I am allergic to seafood.

ฉันแพ้นมวัวค่ะ /chán pɛ́ɛ nom wua kâ/
= I am allergic to cow milk.


Specifying Tastes
You can degree the taste you would like by saying:
- ไม่ /mâi/ + taste  = not...
- or ไม่ /mâi/ + taste + เลย /lǝǝy/ = not...at all
- taste + น้อย /nͻ́ͻy/ or นิดเดียว /nít-diaw/ = a little...
- repeat the taste x 2 = very...

Taste:
หวาน /wǎan/ = sweet
เปรี้ยว / bprîaw/ = sour
เค็ม /kem/ = salty
เผ็ด /pèt/ = spicy
ขม /kǒm/ = bitter

For example:
ขอชาเย็นหวานน้อย /kͻ̌ͻ chaa yen wǎan nͻ́ͻ/
= I would like iced tea and less sweet, please.

ขอส้มตำเผ็ดๆ /kͻ̌ͻ sôm dtam pèt-pèt/
= I would like Som Tam and very spicy, please.

***Anyway, please be prepared if the taste might be slightly different from what you expected, as Thais have different senses of tastes. When you say "not spicy", you might get "a little spicy" instead.

 ส้มตำไทย /sôm dtam tai/








ผัดไทย /pàt-tai/







Hope you have fun ordering food in Thai. Enjoy your meal!!
Jang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn Thai Verb to Be (2) | อยู่ /yùu/

In this blog we will learn verb to be, อยู่ /yùu/. อยู่ /yùu/ is used when you when to describe where the subject is located, so it comes with preposition. Click here to find more prepositions in Thai. >>> Prepostions Pattern: Subject + อยู่ /yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาอยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is opposite the school. หนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ yùu bon dtó/ = The book is on the table. ห้องน้ำอยู่ข้างๆ ห้องครัว /hͻ̂ͻng-nám yùu kâang-kâang hͻ̂ͻng-krua/ = The toilet/ bathroom is beside the kitchen. Negation:  Subject + ไม่อยู่ /mâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location OR Subject + ไม่ได้อยู่ / mâi dâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาไม่อยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo mâi yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is not opposite the school. หนังสือไม่ได้อยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ mâi dâi yùu bon dtó/ = The bo...

Learn Thai Phrases| Romantic Thai Phrases

Happy Valentine’s Day! Can you feel love in the air? Today I have 14 romantic phrases so you can use with your loved one. Please remember: ผม / pǒm/ - I, me for male speakers ฉัน / chán/ - I, me for female speakers 1. I love you. ผมรักคุณ / pǒm rák kun/ ฉันรักคุณ / chán rák kun/ 2. I am falling in love with you. ผมตกหลุมรักคุณ / pǒm dtòk lǔm rák kun/ ฉันตกหลุมรักคุณ / chán dtòk lǔm rák kun/ 3. You melt my heart. คุณทำให้ใจผมละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai pǒm lá-laai/ คุณทำให้ใจฉันละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai chán lá-laai/ 4. I secretly love you. ผมแอบรักคุณ / pǒm ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ ฉันแอบรักคุณ / chán ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ 5. Love at first sight. รักแรกพบ / rák rɛ̂ɛk póp/ 6. Do you believe in destiny? I did not, until I met you. คุณเชื่อเรื่องพรมลิขิตไหม ผมไม่เคยเชื่อจนกระทั่งได้เจอคุณ /kun chʉ̂a rʉ̂ang prom-lí-kìt mái? pǒm mâi kǝǝ...

Learn Thai Vocabulary | Sickness and Symptoms

Achoo!! Oh, I am sorry. Today I woke up with a headache and runny nose. I have a cold as the weather changed. Hope you guys are ok. In this blog, I have vocabulary about sickness and symptoms for you guys. Let's check them out!   1. ปวด /bpùat/+ body parts = pain, ache, sore (long term)        ปวดหัว /bpùat hǔa /          = have a headache       ปวดท้อง /bpùat tᴐ́ᴐng/       = have a stomachache       ปวดฟัน /bpùat fan /          = have a toothache      ปวดคอ /bpùat kᴐᴐ /          = have a neck ache 2. เจ็บ /jèp/ + body parts      = hurt (surface or short term) เจ็บตา /jèp dtaa/             = eyes hurt (because something inside)   เจ็บหัว /j...