Skip to main content

Learn Thai Phrases | Thai Greetings



Hello! I am quite sure that you guys know how to greet in Thai. Yes, สวัสดี /sà wàt dii/ is the common one that everyone knows. I have some more easy words and phrases for you to use with your Thai friends. Oh, make sure that you are polite by ending with these polite ending particles: "ค่ะ/kâ/" or "คะ /ká/" if you are female. "ครับ /kráp/" if you are male. for example: สวัสดีค่ะ /sà-wàt-dii kâ/ สวัสดีครับ /sà-wàt-dii kráp/ OK. Are you ready? Let check them out! :)



1. สวัสดี /sà wàt dii/ is the most common one.
Female speakers: สวัสดีค่ะ /sà-wàt-dii kâ/
Male speakers: สวัสดีครับ /sà-wàt-dii kráp/


2. หวัดดี /wàt dii/ is a spoken one from สวัสดี /sà wàt dii/.
Female speakers: หวัดดีค่ะ /wàt-dii kâ/
Male speakers: หวัดดีครับ /wàt-dii kráp/


3. เป็นอย่างไรบ้าง /bpen yàang-rai bâang/ means "How is everything?"
Female speakers: เป็นอย่างไรบ้างคะ /bpen yàang-rai bâang ká/
Male speakers: เป็นอย่างไรบ้างครับ /bpen yàang-rai bâang kráp/


4. เป็น(ยัง)ไงบ้าง /bpen (yang) ngai bâang/
OR เป็น(ยัง)ไงมั่ง /bpen (yang) ngai mâng/
These are spoken form of เป็นอย่างไรบ้าง /bpen yàang-rai bâang/
Female speakers: เป็น(ยัง)ไงบ้างคะ /bpen (yang) ngai bâang ká/
OR เป็น(ยัง)ไงมั่งคะ /bpen (yang) ngai mâng ká/
Male speakers: เป็น(ยัง)ไงบ้างครับ /bpen (yang) ngai bâang kráp/
OR เป็น(ยัง)ไงมั่งครับ /bpen (yang) ngai mâng kráp/

 
5. ว่าไง /wâa ngai/ is like "What's up?"
Female speakers: ว่าไงคะ /wâa ngai ká/
Male speakers: ว่าไงครับ /wâa ngai kráp/


6. กินข้าวหรือยัง /gin kâao rʉ̌ʉ yang/ means "Have you eaten yet?"
Yes, it really is a greeting. Thai people are worried about you well-being, so they might ask you this question. Don't worry. They do not really expect your real answer. So, when you ask this question as a greeting, you do not need to be serious for someone's answer either.

Female speakers: กินข้าวหรือยังคะ /gin kâao rʉ̌ʉ yang ká/
Male speakers: กินข้าวหรือยังครับ /gin kâao rʉ̌ʉ yang kráp/


7. ไปไหนมา /bpai nǎi maa/ = "Where have you been?"
OR
ไปไหน /bpai nǎi/ = "Where are you going?"
If you run into your friends on the street, these are possible greetings that they might ask you.
Again, Thai people do not really want to know your answer, they only want to say something to greet you. Then, do not be confused why sometimes they do not even wait for your answer. When you hear these ones, just simply say "ไปธุระ /bpai tú-rá/ = go to run my errand" or just make something up or even smile.
On the other hand, when you ask them this kind of questions as a greeting, don't be mad if your Thai friends do not reply, but keep smiling!

Female speakers: ไปไหนมาคะ /bpai nǎi maa ká/
OR ไปไหนคะ /bpai nǎi ká/
Male speakers: ไปไหนมาครับ /bpai nǎi maa kráp/
OR ไปไหนครับ /bpai nǎi kráp/


See you next blogs ka!


Jang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn Thai Verb to Be (2) | อยู่ /yùu/

In this blog we will learn verb to be, อยู่ /yùu/. อยู่ /yùu/ is used when you when to describe where the subject is located, so it comes with preposition. Click here to find more prepositions in Thai. >>> Prepostions Pattern: Subject + อยู่ /yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาอยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is opposite the school. หนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ yùu bon dtó/ = The book is on the table. ห้องน้ำอยู่ข้างๆ ห้องครัว /hͻ̂ͻng-nám yùu kâang-kâang hͻ̂ͻng-krua/ = The toilet/ bathroom is beside the kitchen. Negation:  Subject + ไม่อยู่ /mâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location OR Subject + ไม่ได้อยู่ / mâi dâi yùu/ + Preposition + Location For example: บ้านของเขาไม่อยู่ตรงข้ามโรงเรียน /bâan kͻ̌ͻng káo mâi yùu dtrong-kâam roong-rian/ = His/ Her house is not opposite the school. หนังสือไม่ได้อยู่บนโต๊ะ /nǎng-sʉ̌ʉ mâi dâi yùu bon dtó/ = The bo...

Learn Thai Phrases| Romantic Thai Phrases

Happy Valentine’s Day! Can you feel love in the air? Today I have 14 romantic phrases so you can use with your loved one. Please remember: ผม / pǒm/ - I, me for male speakers ฉัน / chán/ - I, me for female speakers 1. I love you. ผมรักคุณ / pǒm rák kun/ ฉันรักคุณ / chán rák kun/ 2. I am falling in love with you. ผมตกหลุมรักคุณ / pǒm dtòk lǔm rák kun/ ฉันตกหลุมรักคุณ / chán dtòk lǔm rák kun/ 3. You melt my heart. คุณทำให้ใจผมละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai pǒm lá-laai/ คุณทำให้ใจฉันละลาย  / kun tam-hâi jai chán lá-laai/ 4. I secretly love you. ผมแอบรักคุณ / pǒm ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ ฉันแอบรักคุณ / chán ɛ̀ɛp rák kun/ 5. Love at first sight. รักแรกพบ / rák rɛ̂ɛk póp/ 6. Do you believe in destiny? I did not, until I met you. คุณเชื่อเรื่องพรมลิขิตไหม ผมไม่เคยเชื่อจนกระทั่งได้เจอคุณ /kun chʉ̂a rʉ̂ang prom-lí-kìt mái? pǒm mâi kǝǝ...

Learn Thai Vocabulary | Sickness and Symptoms

Achoo!! Oh, I am sorry. Today I woke up with a headache and runny nose. I have a cold as the weather changed. Hope you guys are ok. In this blog, I have vocabulary about sickness and symptoms for you guys. Let's check them out!   1. ปวด /bpùat/+ body parts = pain, ache, sore (long term)        ปวดหัว /bpùat hǔa /          = have a headache       ปวดท้อง /bpùat tᴐ́ᴐng/       = have a stomachache       ปวดฟัน /bpùat fan /          = have a toothache      ปวดคอ /bpùat kᴐᴐ /          = have a neck ache 2. เจ็บ /jèp/ + body parts      = hurt (surface or short term) เจ็บตา /jèp dtaa/             = eyes hurt (because something inside)   เจ็บหัว /j...